Since the 6th century, Christian orders have been taking vows when entering community to direct how they live out the teachings of Jesus. These vows are known as the “Evangelical counsels”: obedience (faith), poverty (simplicity), and chastity (purity). In keeping with these early expressions of community, members commit to this lifestyle of faith, simplicity, and purity when entering the Genesis Community.
All residential members commit to active involvement in their church families, volunteering together weekly, and gathering together weekly for study and worship. Beyond these commitments there are practical things to be done such as chores, maintenance hours, and planning meetings.
We strive to live out the following values:
- Forgiveness (conflict resolution, speaking the truth in love, humility)
- Unity (preferring one another, respect, encouragement)
- Honesty (healthy accountability, responsibility, vulnerability)
- Faith (spiritual growth, Sabbath keeping, godliness)
Our other activities change throughout the year and can include the following
- Book studies
- Community service projects
- National Night Out
- Parties and weddings
- Vacation Bible School
- Concerts and movie nights
- Intentional Community Gatherings
We value any suggestions for other activities. Please email us your ideas!