the genesis communities
To live intentionally together, giving of ourselves to create a close-knit, Jesus-centered community through commitments of faith, simplicity, and purity.
We desire a lasting, stable community that endures beyond any single house or individual, church or social circle. To live and serve together. We do this to support one another in our walks with Christ, preferring others above ourselves, and working collectively for the betterment of the greater community.
We do this because we are called to live out John 13:34-35: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
- Prayer groups (Monday & Thursday mornings)
- 1:1 mentoring opportunities and other gatherings (Book studies)
- Involvement in local church
- Hosting visitors, as though hosting new friends
- Special interest gatherings (art/craft nights, movie nights, worship nights)
- Regular sharing of meals including an open Monday night potluck.
- Communal living for some
- Sharing resources (time, tools, finances..)
- Individuals operating in their gifts and specialized skills.
- Future large projects and shared work (farm, employment opportunities)
Membership in the community looks like
Supporter – people in the greater community who want to participate in the life of the GC
Board – people who are committed to being a guiding voice in the GC
Apprentice – People who want to try out common life together by moving into a GC home (one year or less.)
Partner – People who, after an apprenticeship, have made a commitment to active life in the community
Covenant – People who, after life as a partner, feel called to community long term (5+ years) and who are willing to commit significant time and effort into managing the assets and setting the direction of the community
We started in January 2003 as a community house seeking growth in a community context. Since this time we have expanded and a network has grown. As Genesis we hope be a support to the larger network of Christ centered community members in the metro area.